Friday, October 23, 2009

Make The Perfect White Russian

I'll start off by saying that I know most white russians are made with cream, not milk, but thats not how I make mine. I'm a bartender, I get paid to do this.








Instructions


1. Always fill the entire glass with as much ice as possible. Like most beers, the colder a white russian is, the better it tastes, so avoid making one neat whenever possible. Also, if you're feeling fancy, throw an andes mint into a small glass filled with ice and water, to be continued on step 5.


2. Start with the vodka. Typically, one shot is whats called for, but use your own discretion. The bigger the glass, the more you might want to use, but despite glass size, I usually stick with a single shot. In my opinion, a white russian isn't a drink to get drunk off of, but a drink to enjoy. This is also why I promote the use of Stoli Vanil instead of plain vodka.








3. I really enjoy the taste of Kahlua, so I make my white russians with equal parts milk and Kahlua. Fill the rest of the glass with those two equally. This will allow you to taste the Kahlua more than the vodka.


4. Many don't mix the ingredients, but I prefer to. Simply pour the contents of the glass into your mixer or another glass, then carefully pour them back in the original.


5. If you read step one and decided you were feeling fancy, you should have a cold and hard andes mint waiting in a glass for you by now. Take it out, and using a slightly serrated knife, carve shavings of said mint onto the top of your white russian.


6. Enjoy.

Tags: andes mint, feeling fancy, glass with, taste Kahlua, white russian