Monday, March 10, 2014

Deck Railing Code Violation

NO) Well, you better do something about it


and he walked away..without giving me a card or writeup or anything but attitude....


I stood there behind the closed door in shock for a few minutes and then that turned to anger.............if I'm not wrong...Isn't one NOT required to bring old construction up to code unless they start work on that item? The only thing I have done is paint and water treat, because I've been trying to update/fix the more important things in my 1950's house that were ignored by my godparents...like the roof that was 45 years old and inspected by another inspector when it was done...with NO MENTION of the railing ...nor was it mentioned by the HEAD INSPECTOR when he has paid about 6 visits to my house over the years...


Anybody have an idea what is going on? I know realestate developers are trying to drive out the original families and houses in this beach front community in order to gain more $$$$ from rebuilds...but is the city that desperate for their cut of the work permit?


Thanks for reading my rant...I feel better now...and will feel even better if someone has a clue what is up.....



Where I live, in Minnesota, you would not have bring old construction up to new code. If that were the case they could make you re-plumb, re-wire, re-insulate, etc. as codes changed. The only exception would be if you built the deck with no permit and they didn't see it for awhile. If at some point a permit was obtained to build the deck, or it was built prior to your community requiring permits then they can't make you bring it up to code.


I would start by checking with the city administration about the permit process. (not with the guy at the door!)


Good Luck!



Thank You..I think I was blowing off steam...I have ORIGINALS: blueprints permits, mortgage, correspondance dating back to the first day the property line stake was placed in the ground. There have been NO additions or repairs since it was first built...except for what I have done...which, of course, I GOT A PERMIT FOR (So I am somewhat familiar with the process) has been inspected and passed by the HEAD Inspector...last time-last year when the roof and gutters HAD to be done...and by golly they had to walk out on the deck where they placed the ladder to go up to the roof. Thanks for your input- I don't want to stir things up.....or whine....maybe I should have asked for cheese with my whine.



You have every right to vent! That inspector degrades the profession. He needs to have his sad little power trip put to an end. Report his breach of jurisdiction, lack of knowledge in the code, and outright stupidity to his superior.


I'll pass on the cheese, but those crackers go well too.



Afraid of retaliation...so no peep from me unless something happens.....Sorry you have to pass on the cheese....I mean California..It's the cheese, but I understand, that's what started a bout of diverticulosis...the cheese...my butt...literally



Ever notice that inspectors never go to old neighborhoods full of older small homes ??


Code violations galore on my street and nobody gives a rat's A$$


This is in the 2nd largest city in the country (land area)


I think it's a conspiracy myself ....



Don't make an enemy of the inspector. Keep all the papers you mentioned. I understand you. Good luck



I AM in an OLD house, one of the Originals on my street!!! I don't have any inspection papers..per se...as that was all done in the 50's....BUT, nothing has come of it, so far...Thanks, everyone....



I wonder if he had the wrong house?







Tags: deck, railing, code, violation, bring construction, bring construction code, construction code, have done, pass cheese, that were